Newspaper

Á¦¸ñ USC KSI NEWS
±Û¾´ÀÌ °ü¸®ÀÚ ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ 2018-04-02 11:16:38
¼öÁ¤ÀÏ
2018-04-02 11:16:38
ANNOUNCEMENTS

KSI Spring 2018 Update

Undergrad Research Exchange – USC & University of Michigan
KSI, with support from AKS and the Jamison Foundation, took 11 USC students to the University of Michigan in February for the 6th annual Korean Studies Undergrad Exchange. Students presented papers from research they started in the fall, supervised by our postdoctoral scholars, Jae Kyun Kim and Jon Kief. See PHOTOS.
Two of our students commented on the experience:
I feel much better equipped to conduct my own research and carry out an extensive research project. Through KSI, because there wasn't the pressure of a grade, I was able to explore everything I wanted to and be able to be very creative in my approach and exploration of research. This was really my first experience of long-form research, so I learned everything from forming a research question to conducting all of the research.
I thought that the experience of traveling with our postdocs and meeting academics from another institution gave me a sense for what academic culture is like broadly and how tightly knit Korean studies is as a discipline. I feel I have a fuller understanding of how relationships between scholars are articulated in their writing, their presentations, and their correspondence.
Grad Symposium Finishes Its 6th Year
Our annual symposium, with support from AKS, aims to professionalize grad students, nurture their scholarship, and create interdisciplinary networks of Ph.D. students working on Korea and East Asia. Originally started as a SoCal regional gathering, in 2018 we had participants from Georgetown, SNU, and U Toronto join USC and UC students this year demonstrating the growth of the program since 2011. See PHOTOS.
Preparing Grad Students for the Academic World
The USC Center for International Studies, the USC East Asian Studies Center, and KSI have partnered together to offer graduate students training on topics that will help them achieve success as scholars at USC and beyond. We have had a consistent group of 30-40 students from the humanities, social sciences, physical sciences and more learn from professors about public speaking, managing grad life, and finding academic jobs.
U.S.-Korea NextGen Scholars Program 2018-2019
CSIS and KSI, with support from the Korea Foundation, has designed a mentoring program for mid-career Korea scholars to fully engage in and influence government policies, media discussions, and academic research related to U.S.-Korea relations. We are taking applications for the next class of scholars, due April 15. Learn more about the program here.

ÀÌÀü±Û USConnettion Feb
´ÙÀ½±Û USC Korea newsletter Mar